Wednesday, January 13, 2010

About Attachment Parenting

When my daughter was born 4.5 years ago, I didn't know attachment parenting from string theory. I probably could have guessed which one was which in a multiple choice exam but otherwise I was pretty clueless. A few twists of fate pushed me in the direction of attachment and natural parenting.

My choice in pediatrician. I chose someone who was pro-breastfeeding and not-so-much on the medical interventions, unless they were necessary of course. Since I have always been reluctant to take medications for minor matters, we clicked. I asked for a recommendation for a health care provider for my pregnancy and birth and I was referred to a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) who had been delivering babies for over 30 years. She was perfect for me BTW!

My location. I lived in Seattle at the time. Tends toward the crunchy side. Being born and raised there, I just thought it was "normal life" but moving around a little has shown me that normal life doesn't always resemble Seattle life. For example, I don't really stick out as a natural person in Seattle because there are people who are just so much more... In Texas though, I was the hippie freak that doesn't shave.

Switzerland is really pretty similar to Seattle. There are a bunch of beautiful people in one area and a lot of crunchy people in another. I don't really stand out. Our neighbor took her two kids on a 2 day bike ride when her youngest was 2 months old.

My parents. I won't elaborate on that.

Anyway. I tend to do things my own way and not really fit in anywhere but that is perfectly fine with me.

Proto-baby is making it difficult to concentrate so I am going to hit publish and make some food.

No comments: