Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Finding a Used Bike

I think S is ready for her first two wheeler, with training wheels of course, so I've been scouring freecycle and Craigslist looking for a used one. Why used? Well there is the environmental impact and the outgrowing issue. There is also the Dora, Barbie and Princess issue. See, we don't do tv or characters (except one Cars shirt I got in a moment of weakness). If you go around to the stores, it is difficult to find a bike without a Disney princess or Spiderman. As someone else put it, she is a kid, not a billboard. Since I don't want to spend $200 on a Trek bike for my 3 year old, I am reduced to buying a used bike.

So I call the local used sporting goods stores. There are a lot of those around here. Finally I call the bike shop where the spouse bought the bike he never rides and they have 2 Trek bikes in the right size. The guy on the phone also said they have some boy bikes and that I shouldn't assume S wants a pink or purple one. As if! I am impressed he suggested a "boy bike" (read: red or blue).

Oh, and the reason W never rides his bike? It is plain old too dangerous around here. In the first week of June, 7 people were hit (2 killed) in 7 days by cars. W would have to cross a busy road to get to school. He did ride a few times but stopped when I suggested that we review his life insurance if he was planning on continuing. This might seem like an overreaction but I have seen too many dead bodies on the roads here. People drive 50 mph on the main surface streets, run red lights and basically drive like maniacs. Now I sound like my mother. Great.

No comments: